Speak Loudly!

Published on: Author: Mrs. Johnson 2 Comments

This year’s Banned Books Week takes on added significance with the challenge of several award winning books.  Laurie Halse Anderson’s book, Speak, was attacked in a Missouri paper’s op-ed piece by Wesley Scroggins, an associate professor of management at Missouri State University.  He characterized the book as immoral and recommended that it be removed from his school district’s shelves. Speak is an incredible book.  Published 11 years ago, it continues to be one of the most popular books in our library. It has won numerous awards, but more significantly, it addresses an important, if very uncomfortable topic: the devastating impact of rape.

Ms. Anderson responded to the attack with a blog post that unleashed an outpouring of support for the book and for protecting our right to read.  Almost overnight, thanks to twitter and Paul W. Hankins, a movement christened #SpeakLoudly began among librarians, authors, educators, students, parents and community members to speak out against book banning and censorship.  Visit the new website, Speak Loudly, to read more.

I would love to hear what you think.  Speak loudly, and comment on this post about your thoughts on Speak, book banning and censorship.

2 Responses to Speak Loudly! Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. Years ago I shared the stage with James Lincoln Collier when the subject of banned books came up. Jamie’s book “My Brother Sam Is Dead” had been banned because upon discovering Sam’s body his brother said, “Damn!” Jamie said that for such an event “Darn it!” didn’t cut it.

I was sitting quietly thinking, that this discussion didn’t affect me. Who could object to hands-on science books for children? Then a woman got up and said to me, “Our book committe didn’t buy your book “Science Experiments You Can Eat” because we think too much handling of food is unhealthy for children.” I’m not sure what I said, I was so floored by the comment but it taught me that if people want to ban books they’ll find a reason.

2. hey mrs.Jonson i like your blog.You no your cheeta thing on the top of the screen didnt the eigth graders make one in art class? P.R.I.D.